And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tales from my GPS

Overturned truck full of oranges outside of Lemoncove, CA (population 315)

So my brother gave me a GPS unit for Christmas.  I powered it up just before leaving Jamaica Plain and... it didn't work.  I sent it in to be "refurbished" and had it returned to me in New Mexico.

My GPS hates me.  Or I just imagine it hates me.  As I drove out of Sequoia National Park, I knew I wanted to make my way to Highway 1-- west and north.  My old fashioned road atlas indicated that Rte 198, which runs west from Coalinga to San Lucas, was a scenic route.  My GPS insisted that I take the interstate.  So, every few miles, after I had missed some crucial turn, it had to recalculate my route.... a million times.

If you ever get the chance to drive this route, do it!!  Rte 198 winds its way through dry, empty hillsides.  It reminded me so much of Michael Ondaatje's Divisadero.  His descriptions came back to me as I drove.  Has anyone read it?  What a beautiful book.  The sad part of the trip was that there was no room to pull over and photograph the scenery.  So here's my sad attempt to drive and snap a picture.



I spent the night in Pescadero, California which is right on the gorgeous Highway 1.  I camped at Costanoa which has a lodge, cabins, tent bungalows, and organized camping.  I stayed in the "primitive" camping section and was thrilled to find out that they have nearly direct access to Costanoa State Beach and, more importantly, bathrooms with radiant heat and saunas (!!).

After being in the car all day, I set up my tent and SPRINTED for the beach.  Wow.  It was windy but beautiful.


Path to the beach.  That's yellow lupine on the right.

Lupine up close.






















Looking back at the campground in the eucalyptus grove.

1 comment:

  1. Loving all your flower and rock photographs, Annie!

    ReplyDelete