And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Monday, June 27, 2011

Alberta honey

I keep meaning to recount a funny story from my trip up the Alaska Canada highway.  I was in Watson Lake which is a town about 600 miles up the Alcan.  The population is around 1500 residents.  It has considerably cheaper gas than other places on the highway, so I decided to stop and fill up my tank while the getting was good.

I parked at a pump at the main gas station in town and was greeted by a very friendly and very intoxicated local.  "Good morning," he slurred loudly and smiled.  I scooted to the door of the gas station before he could intercept me.  I pre-paid for my gas and then walked out of the store and back towards the direction of my car and gas pump.  The aforementioned drunk local stood between the bumper of my car and the bumper of the conversion van filling up at the next pump.  I was blocked.

"What do we have here?" he asked me.  And then turned his head in slow motion towards my car.  "Oh boy!  An Alberta honey!"  I was totally confused and really just thinking about how I could distract him, get to my car and fill up my tank.  A tribal police officer had apparently been watching the scene unfold and made his way over to my car.  "That's not an Alberta license plate, Carl.  That's a Massachusetts plate.  From the States.  And leave this woman alone, would ya?"  Carl let out one more plaintive attempt to gain my affection "Wanna take me to Massachusetts with you?"

I filled up my tank and scurried back onto the highway, unsure of exactly what had taken place.... until I saw a red and blue Province of Alberta plate on a pickup a couple of miles down the road and thought to myself "that looks an awful lot like a Massachusetts license plate to me."

You can call me Alberta Honey from now on....

No comments:

Post a Comment