And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Friday, June 10, 2011

Now, where was I?

Last I wrote, I was still blogging about the US of A.  Within a few hours of leaving Twsip, I entered Canada.  Crossing the border was a bit more of a hassle than I anticipated.  I was asked the usual range of questions when I drove up to the booth.  I was apparently suspicious enough to warrant a private interview inside the border station.  The trickiest question was "What do you plan to use for self defense?"  "Ummm... my secret ninja ways?"  After only 5 minutes or so, they decided I was worthy of entry into Canada and I drove on to Kelowna where I camped at a nice Provincial Park on the shore of Lake Okanagan.

From Kelowna, I drove north to Prince George.  As I drove, the country got wilder and wilder and more empty.  I panicked a little-- I felt slightly agoraphobic and much like when I first stepped out of my car in South Dakota.  What wide open spaces!

I stayed one night in gritty but friendly Prince George.  It was here I learned to conceal my city of origin.  British Columbia is in full Stanley Cup mode.  Even polite Canadians could hardly contain their dismay when they found out I was from Boston.

From Prince George, I drove on to Dawson Creek and officially started the Alaska Canada Highway.




I saw a lot of wildlife on the drive: a pair of bald eagles, many bison, and eight (yes!  eight!) bears:


[This black bear had three cubs with her.  They scooted off into the trees before I could take their picture.]





The second night on the Alaska Canada highway, I camped at Liard Hotsprings.  The springs are 104 degrees at their hottest.  It was a welcome dip after sitting in the car all day (and camping in 40 degree rain the night before).  By the way, gas at Liard Hotsprings cost nearly USD8/gallon.  I bought just enough (2 gallons) to make it to Watson Lake for some more reasonably priced fuel.







1 comment:

  1. Annie,

    Have just been catching up on your blog (May & June) after not reading for a coiple of months.

    Love the California landscape! Have not visited in 20 years. I subscribe to Sunset magazine and long to go.

    It must be some kind of awesome to be in the presence of a 2300 year old tree!

    I am going to stop at the library on my way home from work this morning and borrow "Divisadero".

    Cathy Moore

    ReplyDelete