And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Monday, June 13, 2011

Whitehorse

After two and a half days on the Alcan, I couldn't have been happier to drive into Whitehorse which, with a population of around 25,000 people, is the largest city in the Yukon Territory.

[Whitehorse from the Clay Cliffs above town.]

[Canoe ride on Snafu Lake.]

[A Yukon fixer upper]


Sadly, after a mere three days in Whitehorse, I drove off in search of Sitka.  I make it sound like a smooth process, but the night before I was to leave to drive to the ferry in Haines, Alaska, I realized that I could not cross the border in time to make the ferry sailing.  The border in Haines is very small and operates only during limited hours.  I rearranged my schedule with the very accomodating Alaska Marine Highway System (they operate the ferries in this neck of the woods) and spent a night in Haines before departing for Sitka by way of Juneau.

[The drive from Whitehorse to Haines was stunning-- the most beautiful stretch of my trip so far.]

[I saw a grizzly bear along the way but didn't stop to photograph it.]

[Through the raindrops on the windowshield.]





Haines is a lovely little fishing village with a population just over 1500 people.  Cruise ships do not dock in this village which means that the harbor area is actually a nice spot.

[Haines Harbor in the evening.]

[View from my table at the Lighthouse Restaurant]

[The ferry leaves from Haines.]

No comments:

Post a Comment