And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Prarie Dawn sang it best.

They're the people who you meet when you're driving down the street.  The people that you meet each day.

I'm back in Prince George, British Columbia.

I had a magnificent two day journey from Whitehorse on the Cassiar and Yellowhead Highways.  I saw two bears-- one was chasing (unsuccessfully) a young man who had gotten out of his car to take a photo and the other lumbered into the middle of the road and then stood there and glared at my little car menacingly.  Did I manage a picture even though I was a mere 10 feet away?  No.  Here's my pathetic attempt:



I camped at Kinaskan Provincial Park.  The scenery was gorgeous but the mosquitoes were the worst I have ever experienced.  I couldn't even take the time to get out my camera and take a photo of the place.  I set up my tent, ate a banana in the closed car, and then got into my (mosquito-free!) sleeping bag!


Kinaskan Provincial Park from the road

More gorgeousness...

I drove east on the Yellowhead highway (Rte 16) for much of yesterday.  And I managed to run into someone I know!!!  John and Kathryn are cycle touring from Prince Rupert to Winnepeg.  I watched my Canadian friend, Philippe, and John build the bikes for this adventure, so I when I saw those distinctive machines on the side of the road in Houston, BC, I had to stop and say hello.

Sammy, doggy extraordinaire, is in the trailer.  Sometimes he gets out and pulls.  John, Sammy, the trailer, the gear and the bike weigh more than 400 lbs!!

I met another cool cycle tourist in Whitehorse.  Wim is a Dutch man who is just starting a Pan-American tour.  Check out his website (with google translation feature, phewf.)

1 comment:

  1. Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

    ReplyDelete