And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Solstice in the land of the midnight sun

I left Sitka via ferry on Monday afternoon.  It was honestly a little hard to function without Emily and Caroline-- especially Emily who started to do this really cute and bossy finger wagging thing at me when I stepped out of line.  The four hour ferry ride was beautiful and I saw a pod of Orka floating lazily in the shallows.

I spent Monday night and Tuesday morning in Juneau.  Let's just say that I am now an expert on Juneau's public transportation system.  I own the two city bus lines.  I even own the Express Line.  That's me-- expert world traveler.

The ferry from Juneau to Haines left on Tuesday afternoon.  That was Tuesday June 21st.  The summer solstice.  The longest day of the year.  And it turned into the best solstice of my life (so far).  We saw more marine life than I have ever seen-- 4 or 5 humpback whales, more Orka, porpoises galore.  The forest ranger, whose job it is to ride the ferry and teach about the wildlife on the Alaska Marine Highway, said it was the best day in years.

I didn't get any pictures of wildlife (why must I always put my camera away??), but here are some shots of the amazing scenery.

[To quote Imogen: not mad or sad, just serious.]

[Photographing safety equipment, in honor of Kate.]

[Stunning]

[I swear the matchy-matchy orange was not intentional]

[I'm waiting to see if my offer on this house has been accepted]



[Nearing midnight on the Haines Highway outside of Haines Junction, Canada]

No comments:

Post a Comment