And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Joining the 21st century

I've been referred to as a wimp, a Luddite, an eejit, and a technophobe.  I went a good 5 years without a computer or internet access at home until my brother took pity on me last Christmas and bought me a netbook.  This Christmas, life got infinitely more complicated-- an iPod full of music from Quad and Tim and my e-reader from Santa Claus.  Now, I have become the person I always feared I'd be:  I struggle to leave the house without all of my electronic equipment.  Will there be wifi at the cafe?  Will I want to drown out the traffic noise with my iPod?  Will I need to sit on a park bench and escape in a book for a little relief?

Being the person I've always feared I'd be is a little fun.  At least once a day I hear something on my iPod that makes me want to shout out loud "This is great!"  I usually refrain from said shouting and I'm sure the other passengers on the colectivo are happy about that.

The absolute best part of my connectedness and general embrace of technology is Skype.  I once complained about having to sit next to a woman in an airport restaurant in Seattle who was Skyping with her scantily clad boyfriend.  I was outraged then, but now I can see how it might happen.  The "phone" rings and you've just gotten out of the shower or are just getting into pajamas for bed.  You answer the "phone" and whammo!  The whole world (or at least everyone at the surrounding restaurant tables) can see your entire conversation.

This week was a banner Skyping week.  I got to see Moses and Sebastian do some serious yoga moves in New Mexico.  I reassured myself that Jens' injuries from his first "shaving" attempt (he's 3 years old) were healing nicely.  I could practically SQUEEZE the sweet cheeks on Per Bear in cold Minneapolis. 

I also had a rather classic conversation with my new-to-Skype parents (please observe this humorous twist: I don't know how to take a screen shot, so there I am in the lower left hand corner with my camera):

[Lower aspect of my father's visage.  Gina is front and center.]

[So, let's adjust the camera.  Hello Arthur!  I see you dressed for the occasion!]


[Why adjust the camera after Arthur leaves?  I can still see the very tippy top of my mother's head...]

1 comment:

  1. uh-oh. now you are taking pictures of your skype experience, and blogging them to us? I think this is getting serious. k

    ReplyDelete