And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Friday, February 4, 2011

So you're saying there's a chance....

At 4 pm today, I had tennis lesson #4.  Daniel and I were reunited after his week-long beach vacation in Uruguay .  We both arrived early (I left some extra time so that I could attempt to take the incredibly crowded and hot #15 Colectivo), so this gave Daniel plenty of time to ask questions about this favorite subject: Quad.  How old is he?  How tall is he?  When did he start playing tennis?  What is his favorite tennis surface?  He was completely nonplussed when I told him Quad's big news- that he ran a half marathon in a very respectable 1:36.  "Running is bad for your knees," Daniel says as he waves me off.  Okey dokey.  Time for the lesson.  No more Mister Nice Guy.

[A photo to remind you who Daniel loves best.]


I think I'm actually getting better.  I only whiff a few balls.  I am figuring out how to switch my grip so that my backhand doesn't feel terrible.  I'm a little conflicted because my American tennis teacher, Anna, says that a two handed backhand is a good idea.  Daniel says that using two hands is for wimps and that a "chica bien musculosa" (a well muscled girl) like me shouldn't need to do it.  [Lots of gesturing towards my flabby biceps]  I tell Daniel that I had a lesson with Anna.  This doesn't go over well.  I decide not to mention it again and I think Daniel might be right about my backhand because using two hands, for me, is just a lazy way of not having to switch the grip.

The lesson goes on and on.  Our court is in full sun.  It's 32 degrees Celsius which is pretty close to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.  I know all of you who are suffering through bitter cold and mountains of snow could care less.  I just needed to report this detail.  My legs are shaky from yoga this morning.  I'm starting to feel tired.  Daniel does not care, obviously.  At one point, he says I'm rushing to the ball so fast it looks like I am going to eat it.  I dream of eating something cold.  Watermelon.  Cold grapes.  A popsicle.

[See how my body suffers?]


I get only two serves in... out of 16 attempts.  Daniel claps enthusiastically with the second "ace."  I can't tell if he is being sarcastic or if I am hallucinating.  Daniel dismisses me with homework-- I am to hit for two hours against a "frontera" (tennis wall) on Monday and Wednesday.  He says he has friends who work at the park where the frontera is located and that they will tell him if I actually do my homework.  I think the homework assignment might be a vote of confidence from Daniel.  He thinks I can get better.....


[I spend at least 20 minutes rehydrating so I can manage the 4 mile walk home.  I don't dare ride the bus smelling like this.]

1 comment:

  1. by the way, another variation on the favored older brother: just saw The Fighter. Probably a tough movie to subtitle; maybe you should wait. k

    ReplyDelete