And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Sunday, January 23, 2011

And then there were two....

This morning I found a taxi on Avenida Luis Campos around 6:30 am.  My street was still full of the stragglers from last night's festivities.  Call me old, but I can't imagine staying up all night for recreational purposes.

My cab driver was obsessed with Obama.  He wanted to talk to me about how it feels to have such an amazing man as president.  He wanted to know if I voted for him.  He wanted to tell me that he was so proud of the United States.  I smiled smugly in the backseat.

Quad and I traveled to the airport on the trusty Manuel Tienda Leon shuttle.  We had a great week together-- the perfect combination of relaxation, tourism and fun.  I said goodbye to my brother at international departures and began my wait for my next guest here in Buenos Aires. 


My next guest, Kate, arrived on-time in Terminal B.  I patiently waited for her in Terminal A-- where the same flight had arrived the week before and where her flight was listed on the Arrivals list.  Welcome to Buenos Aires, Kate.  We finally managed to find each other, thanks to my $8.99 Ebay cell phone purchase and good problem solving on Kate's part.  Phewf.  Disaster avoided.

Buenos Aires is hot these days....34 C today (which is roughly 93 F).  I won't complain because I know many of you are suffering sub zero temperatures.  Kate and I walked around Palermo, sticking to the shady side of the street.  We ducked in and out of shops, browsing through racks of tiny, gauzy, and odd clothes. 

I watched a disappointing footbal game this evening while Kate sat on my apartment's balcony and enjoyed the evening.  Tomorrow we'll do some planning and hit the ground running.....

[Nearby street corner]

      
[Lucky Strikes vending machine which reads: "Smoking is injurious to your health."  A pack of cigarettes here costs about $2.50.  You can also buy packs with only 6 cigarettes in them for a dollar.]



[Funny speckled trees]
Bicycle helmet count: 3

2 comments:

  1. Annie,
    Since your place seems to be a revolving door, would you mind a visit from Jens' imaginary friend Redro? His manners are good, his Spanish is excellent, and he is quite the hockey player.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,
    You seem very interested in cigarette prices....
    -Sal

    ReplyDelete