And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Monday, January 31, 2011

Time flies when you're..... unemployed.

Yesterday Kate and I traveled to San Isidro which is a suburb of Buenos Aires and is considered picturesque.  We wandered through the local summer market and through some of the residential streets which featured some beautiful mature growth trees and mansions











I left Kate in San Isidro and hot footed it back to Buenos Aires (and skipped out on train fare!!).  I had tennis lesson #3 with a new coach-- Anna from Chicago.  She was both polite and kind of horrified at my tennis skills.  But she didn't yell or act exasperated like some people (ahem... Daniel) and she actually taught me a few tricks that I think helped me.  I'm started to get my timing down a little better.  I'm not sore today, however, and I wonder what this says about Anna.....  Daniel would clearly find her deficient.

Kate and I started out today with a routine trip to breakfast spot #2, Las Cortaderas.  I think they have fine medialunas.  Kate would go to La Imprenta every day if I let her.  I don't let her.  Please enjoy the eye candy at Las Cortaderas (some photos courtesy of Kate):




















We had no specific plans for the day-- we thought we might try to catch a movie because it was supposed to rain.  We sat in Las Cortaderas for hours and by the time we were ready to leave, it had stopped raining and the skies were blue!!!  Kate needed to hit the ATM and we found one a few blocks away.  [Insert obligatory story about helpless old Argentine lady who can't get the ATM to work and thinks we can help her but we can't understand a word she says.]  Then we thought we'd walk a few blocks to find a special store that interested Kate.  Once we found the store, we thought we could just hop on the Subte and check out the Botanical Gardens.  Once we found the Botanical Gardens and wandered around, we couldn't pass up the chance to sit on a bench and read.  [In case you're curious, Kate is reading Lit by Mary Karr and I'm reading At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson.]  And then, without notice, the day was over!

[A sign we saw on our walk which says (roughly): Friend, I respect your political ideas, your favorite musicians, your soccer team, and your sweethearts.  Please, respect my walls and don't write on them.  Thanks."


[A view of the whole wall]


[The wall directly across the street.  I guess the sign worked!]



4 comments:

  1. Love that sign! And the pastries look so yummy! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline and I love the food pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. message from Caroline:

    I REALLY LIKE THE FOOD VERY MUCH.

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for an excellent article! I appreciate your insights and agree with what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete