And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Trust me. Domestic tequila isn't very good....


This is a picture of the sidewalk outside my apartment building at 2 am.  And judging by the sounds I heard at 4:30 am, I imagine it looked the same!!  These Argentines would sure do well working the night shift!!!

Having walked around the city a little more each day, I have a better sense of my neighborhood's flavor compared to the other barrios.  Las Canitas is quite small-- probably 4 blocks by 10 blocks and it's jam-packed with stores, restaurants, bars, clubs, and cafes.  There seem to be fewer residential properties than in other neighborhoods.  I also get the sense that well-heeled portenos (there should be a tilde over the 'n' here but I'm too much of a technophobe to figure out how to do that!)-- folks who live in Buenos Aires-- come to my little spot to drink and shop and play.  Since I arrived here, I haven't heard any English spoken.

Last night I made a very innocent pilgrimmage to a neighborhood called Palermo to a bar showing the NFL playoffs.  The magic of traveling in the internet age is that you can google "NFL playoffs in Buenos Aires" and a list of places (or, in this case, a single place) showing the game appears with the address marked on a map.  I took the Subte and walked 10 or so blocks without getting lost: a small miracle.

Palermo takes up a large part of the mid-section of Buenoes Aires.  My guidebook tells me that this city's middle class inhabits the neighborhood.  It's quite charming looking-- cobblestoned streets, lots of families with strollers, and a mix of hip and hippie stores.  I heard English spoken everywhere, including the bar showing the football games.  The place is owned by an American guy and an Irish guy.  It's clearly a hangout for English speaking expats.

My teetotaling night took a turn when I fell in a with a few Seahawks fans (those of you who don't follow football should know this is a very bad team that, against all odds, beat the reigning Super Bowl champs) and this is how I can tell you, based on painfully earned first-hand knowledge, that Argentine tequila tastes like unrefined gasoline.

What?  What's that you say?  Why are you yelling?  I think I need to go back to bed....  Check out these pictures of my apartment while I recover:


.

3 comments:

  1. brilliant! teetotalism is entirely for the birds.

    sounds like you're acclimating nicely - sweet digs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's almost exactly 12 years between tequila shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...almost exactly 12 years since MY last tequila shot.

    ReplyDelete