And to resist the urge to join the traveling circus

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ice cream: the seal is broken

Argentina prides itself on making excellent ice cream.  It seems like it's a little more like gelato... but I don't know the difference between the two.  I just think the idea of it all is yummy.

I've been holding off on my first tasting experience because I figured the longer it takes me to get hooked, the fewer total calories I'd consume during my time here.  It's a beautiful summer evening (it stays light until 9 or so), so I decided to bite the bullet and try out my local place.... local meaning the heladeria on my corner rather than the one on the next corner or the one in the middle of the block after that.

The process of purchasing a "conito" of ice cream is slightly confusing (a cultural norm, I think).  First you wait in an imaginary line during which time a series of more important people cut in front of you.  Then, you ask the guy for a cone of such and such and he tells you to go pay first, get a ticket, and then come back to him-- and this guy has a rather large metal bar through his nose and he's playing kind of sweetly with the owners kids who are about 5 and 7 years old.  So, then you switch lines, pay for a "conito chico" and return to the ice cream scooper line.  The choices were overwhelming:

At least five variations of chocolate
Vanilla
Marscapone
Dulce de Leche
Blueberry
Pineapple
Pink grapefruit
... and a whole lot of other flavors with names I didn't understand and didn't have time to write down.

I think most people get a combination of flavors, but since I'm a novice, I decided on plain grapefruit (look of dismay from aforementioned scooper). 


It was delicious!

Have I mentioned that you can buy cheese in a can?



And finally, I'd like to share that Argentina has the kind of censorship of which I am enamored.  I discovered today that there is a government approved list of names which you may give your child.  Seriously. 

Rough translation: 
"1.) You may not give your child names that are extravagant, ridiculous, contrary to our customs, or names that express political or ideological beliefs.  You also may not give your child a name which contradicts the child's gender unless you combine it with an approved name in an order which makes the gender obvious: Jose Maria, Maria Jose.
2.) You may not give your child a 'foreign' name.  If it is the same name as one of the parents it may be used as long as it is not hard to pronounce and cannot be translated easily into spanish. [This does not apply if you are a foreigner working as an employee of a foreign company or a diplomat, etc.]
3.) Last names may not be given as first names.
4.) You may not name your child the same name as a living sibling.
5.) Your child may not have more than three names."

Wow.

Great scientific count: 10 (my American yoga teacher...)

7 comments:

  1. If that's the conito chico, I'd like to see the conito grande! Also, grapefruit???

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, I could not name my baby Alpha Centauri, the loneliest star in the universe.....?
    Would love to hear the story of where these rules came from ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This begs the obvious question...is the name Jermajesty considered "extravagant, ridiculous, or contrary to [their] customs?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these rules!! But...if it applied to my students, they would all be nameless right now...their parents have broken ALL of the rules in some way, shape, or form. I would love to know more about these rules as well...maybe I can start a petition in Atlanta! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trenor and Reese would certainly be out of luck. That was laugh out loud hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly like "4.) You may not name your child the same name as a living sibling."

    If there's rule against it, someone must have done it....

    ReplyDelete